Printer toner can make a real mess when it's accidentally spilt on your office carpets. Fortunately, removing the stain is a relatively easy process if it's tackled quickly. Here's how to do it.
What you'll need
- washing-up liquid
- cold water
- clean, white towels
- white vinegar
- vacuum cleaner
How to do it
- It's important that you tackle the stain as soon as it's discovered. If you leave it for too long before cleaning it up, foot traffic will spread the toner and drive it deeper into the carpet pile.
- Start by vacuuming the carpet thoroughly in order to lift up as much of the spilt toner as possible.
- Make a mild DIY cleaning solution using washing-up liquid and cool water. It's important that the water you use is cool. This is because printer toner melts when heated up, so if you use warm water, you risk setting the stain into the carpet. Similarly, if any toner gets onto your clothes, always rinse it out using cold water to avoid permanently staining your garment.
- Soak a white towel in the cleaning solution and gently blot the toner stain. The toner should lift from the carpet. Don't rub or scrub at the stain as this will damage the carpet pile and spread the stain.
- Now use a dry towel and press it down firmly for a few minutes on the damp area of the carpet. When you lift the towel, you should see a dark smear where the toner has adhered to it. Repeat step #4 and step #5 until the towel comes away clean.
- Use a clean towel soaked in cold water to rinse the carpet by blotting it carefully.
- Allow the carpet to dry completely. You may find that the carpet dries with a small residual amount of staining. In this case, make up a weak solution of white vinegar and cold water. Use a white towel to blot the solution onto the stain, leave it to activate for a few minutes, and then blot up the solution with a clean towel.
- Rinse the area as per step #6.
- When the carpet is completely dry, vacuum the area to lift the carpet pile back up.
This method should remove any small toner stains from your office carpet. However, if the staining is particularly stubborn, you should contact a good commercial cleaning company for help. A professional contractor (like Comclean Australia Pty Ltd) will have access to toner-specific cleaning chemicals and specialised equipment, which will ensure that your carpet is left looking as good as new.